Pills are for Regular Use, not Emergencies

Dr. Kamini Rao, Medical Director Milann

I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years now. My husband is 32 and I am 31. We have gone through several tests and so far, all have come normal. How long should we continue trying for a natural pregnancy?

When you say all tests are normal, it is important for us to know the exact tests that were conducted. It is also important for us to know if the sperm count is normal and the fallopian tubes are patent, and you have normal sexual activity. Then I would suggest that 2 years is long enough and now you can go ahead and have an IUI( Intra-uterine insemination) at this stage. This would better your chances of conception than trying normally as you have already done this for the last 2 years.

I am 27-years-old and recently married. I do not want to get pregnant at this point so every time it goes wrong, I take pills. Will taking pills, two or three times a month, affect my ability to conceive a year later?

It is not good to use pills as a routine emergency contraception since it is not good for your health. I would suggest you to go on the oral contraceptive pills on a regular basis since this would be better for your cycle correction as well as to prevent conception. Consult your doctor before you start taking the oral contraceptive pills.

My husband has an appointment to have a sperm analysis done. Can you please tell me what the test is for?

Semen analysis is done to test for sperms in the semen. It will be done as per the WHO guidelines which defines normal values in 2 to 6ml of semen as: (i)sperm motility- 50% and (ii) morphology > 4 % (so even 4 out of 100 sperms having normal appearance is considered normal). You need to have 3-5 days of abstinence before you give the sample. If the sperm sample is normal, then it means you could try for natural conception provided the female partner is also normal.

I am a 25-year-old man and I have been sexually active recently. Every time after the intercourse, I have a sharp pain on body. Can you tell me what that is?

Is this pain at the region of the penis or in the abdomen? If there is a pain in the penile area, it could be some sort of lesions which needs to be looked into or a tight prepuce which can cause such pain. I suggest you contact a urologist to examine your private parts to make sure it is normal.